Sweetpacks Toolbar had my head screaming this morning! To get an early start on my backlog, i was up at 4.30am only to waste my next 5 hours trying to remove Sweetpacks. It had installed itself illegally the day before. I had downloaded a different program which was accompanied by the Sweetpacks offer which i rejected! It ignored my decision and became a hero amongst Malware.
What it does is take over your search results. In this case, Google.
I may have many sites designed through WordPress but i’m primarily a blogger. I am not an IT geek! I don’t say that with disapproval because there are times like these that i wish i was one…or still lived in the big city when there was one in every suburb.
Nevertheless, i can offer you advice after those painful hours dug through over 200 search results, approximately 50 pages and several programs RESULTING IN NO SOLUTION! Even the incredible Malwarebytes never worked. I want to save you from “borborygmus” which means intestinal rumbling caused by moving gas:)
When cleaning Registry entries, don’t delete every search result that is found as i fear you may cause yourself injury. Use your logic. And if it looks confusing, call someone to use the tools below. But check it out first.
- CCleaner (for free here – you’ll keep this lovely program for ever)
- RegSeeker (for free here – if it offers you third party software, say NO. Another option is Softonic – say NO to their music toolbar offer too…it doesn’t force an install)
- Install both.
- Tools -> Addons -> Remove Sweet IM
- On your Search Bar (as in the picture below), click the icon and then remove the SweetIM/Sweetpacks option.
- Close your Browser!
REMOVE PROGRAM ENTRIES WITH CClEANER
- Open CCleaner
- Under Cleaner tab, select Cookies -> Run Cleaner
- Under Tools you will see all your programs listed. Click on column for Install Date so you can easily find the latest entries.
- Remove the following (or any that are similar):
- SweetIM Toolb
- SweetPacks To
- SweetIM Technologies Lt
- IM Technologies
- Click on Registry tab -> Scan for Issues -> Fix selected issues.
- Close CCleaner.
- Click tab for Find in Registry.
- Search for ‘SweetIM’ and delete the results.
- Close Regseeker.
FINAL THINGS TO DO
Listen to my shameless self-promotion:)
- If you like rock music and interested in our world gone mad, pop over to my diary at www.wickedmike.com. Consider subscribing.
- Thinking of a holiday. Consider my hometown of Knysna, the prettiest town in South Africa. Kid you not! My www.LoveKnysna.com will prove it – click on the top sections. Us tourist towns got hit hardest by The Recession so we need your money:) And we’re damn cheap e.g. R9 of our local currency matches $1. A beer pint costs $1.5 in a bar.